Killing the Phone: Finding Peace-The Writings of Jasper Kerkau

valli

As a job requirement, I have to keep my phone on me at all times. Even as I slumber my phone is in arms length. Every night I go to sleep hoping that the phone doesn’t rouse me into action. It is an abomination. I am beholden to the incessant flow of notifications, updates, irrelevant texts, and infernal headlines. It is overwhelming. I have daydreams of throwing my phone off of skyscrapers, cutting a hole in the ice on a frozen lake and dropping it to its icy death or wrapping it in toilet paper and releasing it into the bowels of a porta potty.

I have contemplated deconstructing my phone, taking it apart and carrying a thousand little parts in a sandwich bag, periodically laying it out on the floor and making designs, or spelling out my name from its delicate little pieces. When asked, I would say I was trying to get to the bottom of things, figure out how it worked–looking for some kind of breakthrough in communication. To be frank, they would probably hand me another one and tell me to be careful moving forward. After the third or fourth time, they would probably fasten it to my neck or tether it to my testicles. There is no escaping it.

In the future, I am going to retire to a life of hand signals and telepathic communication. I will replace my televisions with fish tanks and my laptop with a vintage Underwood. Of course I will exist on an island, not receiving vital updates via social media on the mood status of people I never talked to but shared a homeroom class with in the forth grade. And I will not find be able to stay tuned into the latest celebrity gossip or fantasy football talk. Oh the horror! I need to downgrade my life and find a magical community of those so predisposed to aversion for all this digital bombardment. It probably doesn’t exist, but my sense is that it is right around the corner. I am not alone.

Jasper Kerkau

Sudden Denouement Literary Collective

20 Comments Add yours

1. I hit my tolerance level. I no longer keep a cell phone. I also found my way out of the Facebook Coliseum, and all of its social derivatives. I’m well down that road, and still haven’t used my rear-view once.
    Your writing is clear and refreshing. Thank you for sharing it.

Liked by 1 person

1. I recently became single and everyone told me I had to do FB. Every day I wake up and scroll through it and die a little inside each time I see a video of a fat kid doing a funny dance or a cat playing the piano. It is the end of the world.

Thank you for your kind words. By the way, Rebel Yell is an inspired work. I will delve more into your work soon.

1. “It is the end of the world.” Yes, that encapsulates it quite nicely. 🙂
        Thank you for the high compliment. My online presence is a one-room house, but the virtual door is always open to you.

2. oldepunk says:

Yes! I so feel that way sometimes. You nailed it.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you my friend. I believe a subculture will soom emerge of people who turn it off. It is on the horizon.

1. oldepunk says:

Sign me up. I actually resisted social media until I started my blog a month ago. I kind of regret getting a Facebook page!

3. Elizabeth Ann Balli says:

I have had the same feelings almost if not, daily! Love it!

4. Nurse Kelly says:

Yeah… good luck with that! My parents have an aversion to digital bombardment, but they’re both eighty. lol

Liked by 1 person

1. LOL, my complaining about technology does make me seem old, which I am not–well, I guess old is subjective; I am in my forties. Though, I do think people are getting technology fatigue. Thank you for taking time to read. Always appreciate from hearing from you Kelly.

1. Nurse Kelly says:

Didn’t mean to make you sound old! And yes, can’t keep up with technology, but you know there’s no turning back… virtual reality is here!

Liked by 1 person

2. I got one of the vr devices and it made me sick. Imagine the possibilities with VR. That is exciting. Walking through the pyramids or Rome at height of Roman Emire. Exciting stuff eventually.

3. Nurse Kelly says:

My son has one and it’s cool for flying in a cockpit, but I can see how it could give you visual vertigo. Yes, eventually is right! And then there’s A.I….

Liked by 1 person

4. Spiraling into the abyss.

5. Nurse Kelly says:

Yes. Even Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking are fearful of A.I. Crazy stuff! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

6. The sex indistry is going to start cranking out sexbots in the near future. That is scary.

Liked by 1 person

5. In today’s modern age, we are connected more than we have been at any time in human history. And yet, study after study proves with overwhelming evidence that we feel more disconnected and distant from one other than at any time in human history. Why is that?

Liked by 1 person

1. There was a book called Bowling Alone, which is probably dated now, that tackled this issue. Technology creates alienation because it opens us to the world, but denies people real, substantive conversation. Virtual reality is the abyss that we are about to dive into. It is hard to visualize the impact it is going to have once they work the kinks out. I think it is going to produce a generation that is completely incapable of working and having normal human relationships.

We are already seeing a demographic that is not capable of working, changing a tire, having sexual relations, or being a functioning member of society. It is only going to get worse. The more engaged we become with the “internets” the further we move away from sitting down with real people, having coffee, laughing and talking. We have crossed the Rubicon in my opinion.

Liked by 2 people

6. Jan Wilberg says:

Love the language and style of this.

1. Thank you Jan. It is always an honor when you take the time to comment. I appreciate you very much.

1. Jan Wilberg says:

I know I should do better and slowing down and commenting. 🙂