Enlightened Song – Jasper Kerkau

annex-bara-theda_01

The sky rumbles, the wet smell of calamity broods on the horizon. Domestic fires glow in fireplace; meals are scraped into trash—soothing waves of time lap at my naked feet, reclined in chair, unaware of the great journey, unprepared to place soft heel on coarse ground and drudge into the coiling madness, unnecessarily acquainted with discomfort and solitude.

Ah, the righteous path! It comes quickly: fury and merciless tragedy thrust me into a great comedy of unexpected sadness—lost and silent, woefully unprepared for the world on new terms. I learned to live on nothing, bitter flowers plucked and left under pillow, clay and dry-bone extracted from a lie. The nectar of life that wets my lips sours, a harsh vinegar churned with cold hands!

Who are you now–after being lost? The shrill voice of self-doubt wakes me from the great slumber. I place my ear to the ground and hear the vibrations of a life lost, years wasted—words traded for shiny rocks and bits of paper, meaningless! Meaningless! My soul is in the valley where I sit silently listening to the slow rotation of the earth, the everlasting song that only the enlightened hear. It beckons me.

Jasper Kerkau

Sudden Denouement Literary Collective

suddendenouement.com

@suddendenoueme1

20 Comments Add yours

1. Mark says:

“I learned to live on nothing, bitter flowers plucked and left under pillow, clay and dry-bone extracted from a lie.”

Truly. Thank you, Jasper. Powerful words. You inspire and resonate so deeply.

2. oldepunk says:

Reblogged this on RamJet Poetry and commented:
    Stunning work from my friend Jasper

Liked by 1 person

3. Msshadaburks says:

Reblogged this on Ms. Shada Burks/ Self Published Author and commented:
    Good Read…

4. Rebloged it @thenortonsetup.wordpress

5. Man, those final two sentences unite us!

Liked by 2 people

1. You are one of my favorite poets. I am honored.

1. I simply haven’t known how to respond to that. Thank you, Jasper.

6. Fantastic Jasper!!!!😊 happy thanksgiving!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much. Your words always mean so much.

7. Private Bad Thoughts says:

There are too many great lines for me to copy and paste, I’d end up pasting your whole piece-jam packed with stunning lines, this is gorgeous-

Liked by 3 people

1. Thank you Georgia. Your opinion means a great deal

8. oldepunk says:

Jasper, this is just absolutely brilliant

Liked by 1 person

9. Anonymous says:

“…unnecessarily acquainted with discomfort and solitude…”

simply exquisite, my friend… your style grows more unique and refined with each keystroke of the mind.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you so much for your kind words.